Thursday, November 29, 2012

Coffee Table Bowl

This week has been surprisingly busy.  After the Seagrove show I started listing pieces for sale online.  The great thing is that I started selling more items so I glazed some more, then some more.  Today I unloaded the kiln again and have started listing more items on Etsy.

The only bummer was that while I was sanding the bottoms of the pieces, I dropped a brie baker onto two yarn bowls.  The brie baker didn't break but it broke two really nice yarn bowls.  This is a double bummer because I have had a hard time making these pieces fast enough.

This handled coffee table bowl was a special order by a customer at the Shelby show and it came out beautifully.  It took me three tries to get it to finished size of 16 inches.  I wasn't sure how much shrinkage was going to play a part in size.  This bowl started at 18 inches, then shrunk to 17 inches before it even went into the kiln.  It barely fit into my 7 cu ft kiln.

Next week I will be going to the John C. Campbell Folk School.  I will be taking a course from Sylvia Coppola.  My mom will be rooming with me and she will be taking copper enameling.  I am so looking forward to this, since we signed up 6 months ago, it seems like it will never get here.  Hopefully I will come home with all kinds of new ideas.

While I am gone, my son Tarick will be taking over my shipping duties.  This is a little scary for me to turn this over to him but I didn't want to shut down my online shop during the busiest season of the year.  When I get back I need to glaze one more load.  I have 2 more platters to finish for a dinnerware set I started a few months ago, plus I am sure that I will need more items to post online.

No comments: