Friday, October 12, 2012

Teapot on Fire

Today I unloaded the kiln and here is my favorite piece.  I have been working on my teapot design and I like how it came together in this piece.  It makes me think of fire, with the glaze color and the flame like knob on the lid.  I will be taking this piece and many others to the Carolina Claymatters Fall Festival this weekend.  It looks like a pleasant day at 66 degrees and sunny.

My goal for next year is to try to get into some new shows.  I have been doing the same shows for the past few years and am ready for a change.  There are still decisions to be made on whether I want to upgrade my booth. I wonder sometimes how much it matters in getting into shows and selling more pieces.  This photo may be one that gets sent out on applications.

3 comments:

Linda Starr said...

What a great teapot, the kiln gods were favorable for sure.

Michèle Hastings said...

Nice teapot!

The best way to know what type of booth is expected is to go to some of the shows and see what's there. We do a show where you are under one big tent and you have to bring walls or pipe and drape. The booths are also juried each year and your placement in the next year hinges on your score.
I have mixed feelings about fancy booths and sales... we have had crappy sales with our full scale booth that takes about 6 hours to set up and have had great sales with only a couple of tables and table covers!
Good luck tomorrow, look forward to seeing you at the festival!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments. It's a debate that goes on in my head daily on whether or not to spend the money on a new booth display.