Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Puzzle Pitcher and Mugs

Back in the studio.  I have not thrown any pots in over a month.  In January I started full force making pieces for my Spring shows.  Once I started doing the shows, I realized that I really didn't need as much as I thought, so I have only been glazing pieces as needed. 

Today I made a puzzle/joke pitcher and mugs.  For the pitcher, the liquid is poured in the top and it runs down the handle into the bottom of the pitcher.  The neck has holes in it.  For the mug, the liquid is sucked through the hole in the top which has a hollow rim and the liquied comes through the handle into the rim.  My biggest challenge was making hollow handles.  I can't wait to see if they actually work the way they are supposed to.

This past weekend we went up to Asheville for a short vacation.  I came back with some inspiration for some new pieces..  In the next few weeks/months I plan to do some experimenting.

3 comments:

jbf said...

Nice puzzle set! Please let us know how it works when finished.

doug Fitch said...

They're fab Judy- I always put a small piece of clay over the hole in the handle when I'm slipping or glazing, to prevent the hole from clogging up

Unknown said...

Thanks. I messed up the first mug. But I will know the next time to block the holes. You should check out www.becketpottery.blogspot.com A couple of days ago Robin posted a photo of her two versions and they are amazing.